Roach and Monahan Lead IUN to 14th Win
Palos Heights, Ill. – The No. 13 IU Northwest RedHawks looked to ring in the new year with a victory in their final outing 2016. Led by Nicki Monahan and Grayce Roach the RedHawks exploded for a 52 point first half and never looks back cruising to a 87-63 over host Trinity Christian.
The Trolls had no answer for RedHawks' junior guard Grace Roach in the first half as she torched the Trolls for 24 first half points on 9 of 10 shooting. Roach broke free of the Troll press with Monahan finding her on several occasions for layups with Monahan tallying 6 assists and 13 points of her own in the first half as IU Northwest took a commanding 52-31 lead to the break.
Roach's game high 29 points on 11-13 shooting was a career high and included 4-5 from long range. Monahan was equally as impressive as nearly missed a triple double tallying 25 points of her own along with 10 assists, 8 rebounds and 4 steals. With the victory IU Northwest improved to 14-3 on the season.
· Roach's 24 first half points included 3-3 from beyond the arc including a first half buzzer beater on a long feed from Monahan.
· Monahan's 10 assists were a career high
· Senior forward Nariman Jaber
blocked two shots including one emphatic rejection that drew a roar from the crowd
By the numbers:
· The RedHawks 87 points was a season high.
· IU Northwest shot 51% for the game 32-63 including 23 assists on their 32 made field goals.
· The RedHawks dominated the trolls both insode and out shooting 9-21 from beyond the arc and in fast break points 16-4.
"This was a solid effort by our entire team that did a great job of navigating the press early on and turning it into points. We had solid contributions through the lineup and Nicki (Monahan) and Grayce (Roach) played extremely well together and were dominant out there today as they proved once again they are two of top players in the nation," said IU Northwest head coach Ryan Shelton
The RedHawks will face a quick turnaround will travel to Rensselaer, Ind. to face NCAA II Saint Joseph's in their final exhibition of the season this Monday Jan. 2 with a 5 p.m. tip.