The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics' Champions of Character provides training to ensure student-athletes know, do, and value the right things in all areas of life. The five core values: integrity, respect, responsibility, sportsmanship and servant leadership are put into play, accounted for, and tracked at all NAIA schools.
IU Northwest RedHawk Athletics is proud to be part of the Gary and Northwest Indiana community. As an NAIA institution IU Northwest Athletics has developed a Champions of Character campus program that includes:
• Ongoing character education for all student-athletes using the Champions of Character Live 5 orientation program.
• Professional development for coaches, athletics administrative staff including completion of the Character-Driven Coaching course.
• Emphasis on hospitality and game management of athletics events and conduct in competition
• Servant leadership activities that promote student leadership and athletic community engagement
• Ongoing oversight and assessment of progress in the program's implementation by both Indiana University Northwest and the NAIA.
A few examples of Champions of Character this year include: